Saturday, November 9, 2013

IT Post: A brief History of how I embrace WhatsApps (or data plan instead of 3310)

Dear readers

I had embraced the Internet since 1998. I had my first Friendster account in 2003, where most of Keekers were helpless infants. I was introduced by my American friends to Facebook in early 2007 where Mark just authorized access for non-edu or American uni emails in joining the social network, Where in Malaysia Facebook is just another Myspace or Hi-5. What i remember is I never had a blog till 2009 (exploring marketing possibilities), never had a smartphone till 2012 and never had any clue what was WhatsApps.


"This is a true story a Gen X soul trapped in a Gen Y body" (Muzzamil, 2012)

My first reaction to the apps was like "WHAT what??" and "Another Facebook? Nope guys, too mainstream, not interested...

Guys, I have LIVED and PROSPERED with primitive Nokia of 3310, 1100 and latest was 1101i. All of them had served me with royal-classed loyalty and would rather die protecting me from stray dogs. Hence it was not an easy task to convince me embracing any new religions in either smartphones, data plan or apps. Macha, 3310 battery lasts longer that your iPhone or craps like that.
I have done some research to prove Nokia 3310 is the ultimate creation of man. All of the proof I have gathered from the Internet, so it must be as true as Nigeria lottery emails.


3310 killed the dinosaurs? This must be true!


                                                         Pic courtesy of http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/indestructible-nokia-3310

However, beside me in class is Mr. Khairul "B". He is from some random courier company, and works as a IT support personnel. His extensive IT background enables him to be "in-trend" with rapid paced IT technology. Since he is very fluent and tech savvy, he manages to complete every eMBA assignments a night before they were announced to the students. Astounding isn't it? This phenomenon is consistent every subject until he was heavily confronted by the force of Economic Analysis. The brute force was intense, he said!

It was found out that I was the few guys whom did not have data plan, hence no WhatApps. Some of them insisted me to join them on WhatApps but I politely refused. It was just me being me. Why changed to something that has vague reputation of protecting me from stray dogs and even bullets? iPhone can't even be a ballistic weapon when in time of zombie apocalypse and any sh#t like that? This cr#p ain't real dawg. I must not change. MUST NOT! The force is strong with this one.

In corporate world, if you turn down the invitation/request you should supply your refusal with reasoning that logically accepted, or poorly logically accepted as often excused by some politicians. Well track records were consistent and in a way it did work for more 55 years lol. I used my Portable P1 modem as excused, coupled with the awesomeness of my Toshiba netbook- pride and honour of reputable netbook no one can beat. Even I challenged them Googling in high speed and comfort (read- COMFORT with fully functional and physical keyboard). They quietly surrendered and hid disappointment in disguise. Epic win!

Nonetheless this Khairul guy was persistent. Hideously, he offered me using his BlackBerry Bold 9780 for me to join WhatApps. What kind of despicable tactic is this?? Religously I cannot pray for protection with this BB amulet. Moreover, that thing did not have built in torch light. Not hardcore bro, not hardcore!

This guy kept insisting me. A gentleman at heart, I adamantly accept his offer and began my first tenure with a smartphone. I will share another post about my first smartphone thus I will skip that to WhatApps only. Teaser gonna what a teaser has to do.

At first, the most important this is to select data plan provider. I chose BlackBerry Prepaid and took the 2 months service. A high investment to get this WhatApps going but I chose to keep calm and professional during the process.
Pic courtesy of www.u.com.my/blackberry/prepaid 

After my data plan was successfully registered, then the real thing began. Amazingly, I explored the BB myself. Owning a 3310 did not inhibit my tenacity in technological breakthrough and I did adapt gracefully. Neither lacking of tech knowledge nor colourful, luminous display slowed me down; quickly I commenced to engage other users in WhatApps.

Wth is WhatApss? Mr Wikipedia says;
"WhatsApp Messenger is a proprietarycross-platform instant messaging subscription service for smartphones. In addition to text messaging, users can send each other images, video, and audio media messages."

Thanks Mr. W for such hardcore definition.
In layman terms, it is a instant messaging system carried out through data plan for smartphone.

The problem in IT is everyone can disguise anyone on the Net. This is definitely a security issue that needs to be addressed even at community based network. Identity forge threat is imminent as anyone can pose to be anyone with minimum knowledge on the background.

I disguised as one of girl in my class. Surprisingly no one was suspicious on my impersonation. WhatApps registration was pretty much straight forward, that was why I could impersonate by just using another person details. The impersonation was a great success for few months. Then I decided to reveal the truth since I cannot contain the escalated craziness anymore. Lol! Response was intense. News that I had WhatApps spread and I became prime target of discontentment of my impersonation. Nonetheless- Great success!

As immediate result, WhatApps became my premier virtual connectivity. I have developed ability to reply to many group in one time. Lived with ancient technology is not a barrier, it is adapting with the situation the utmost important.
................................................................................

IT is hauntingly contagious. It has been a 6 months since I have my WhatApps account. Currently I have Twitter account, Keek, Instagram, and also a Galaxy Note 8, post paid data plan, 52GB Dropbox account, numerous apps in my tab and Samsung SLR that can do remote viewfinder.

I have cancelled my P1 account and turned to Unifi for stable and fast Internet connection. Furthermore, I may use my Unifi account to access TM Wifi in some public places which is great though! Nonetheless I admirably keep my 1101i together in case of hard sorcery or zombie attack (as well as lame excuse to my boss for not checking emails lol).

Nah look what IT has done to me. IT trend is just like gravity, what Khairul "B" did was a little push...


No comments:

Post a Comment